If you have kids in school, they’re most likely on spring break right now which means you need ways to entertain them. What better way to do that than by having them make St. Patties Day crafts? Check out these awesome tutorials for a fun filled day with the kids!
Cut out the green paper in the shape of a top hat. You can either find a template online for this or freehand it. Cut a thick strip of black paper to glue above the brim of the hat. Cut out a yellow square and a smaller black square then glue the black in the middle of the yellow and the yellow in the middle of the black strip. Cut the orange paper so that it forms a large rounded beard that you can glue to either sides of the brim so that the child’s face can protrude through. Poke holes on either sides of the top hat, above the brim and tie the string so that it stays on the child’s head.
Paint (all the rainbow colors)
Black and yellow paper
Paint a stripe of each color onto the plate. It doesn’t have to be straight. Let it dry then flip it and do the same thing on the back side. Once the plate is dry, cut it while turning the plate so that it forms a spiral. Make a cauldron full of gold with the black and yellow paper then glue it to the bottom of the spiral.
This one is extremely easy but you might also hate it because of the sparkles. All the children have to do is is paint the rocks with the gold paint then sprinkle the gold sparkles on before it dries. Then let the rocks completely dry before handling.
All of these crafts amount to a wonderful scavenger hunt! hang up the rainbow cauldron somewhere the kids won’t see and place the gold coins around the house or yard and a big pile of them at the base of the rainbow cauldron. Have the kids put their leprechaun masks on then go on the hunt for the gold! Whoever wins, gets some fun St. Patties Day treats like the ones from our previous post.
What St. Patties Day crafts will your children be doing?
Look for our upcoming post on spring decor!
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner therefore it’s an excuse to have a party! Of course everything you have at your house has to be green because you’re not doing it right if it’s not. Check out these awesome recipes and ways to have green food!
Green Puppy Chow (from galonamission.com)
5 cups rice chex cereal
1 bag green candy melts
1 drop young living spearmint essential oil
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Add the rice chex cereal to a large mixing bowl.
2. Pour the candy melts into a bowl and microwave until melted. Make sure you stir the candy melts every now and then.
3. Stir in the spearmint oil.
4. Pour the melted candy melts onto the rice chex cereal and gently stir until completely mixed.
5. Put the mixture into a zipblock bag then add the powdered sugar and shake until mixed.
Lucky Rice Krsipie Treats (from classycutter.net)
1/4 cup butter
4 cups soft marshmallows
5 cups Rice Krispie cereal
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Green food coloring
3/4 cup Lucky Charm’s marshmallows
1. Melt butter then gradually add soft marshmallows and stir often to avoid burning.
2. Add the vanilla and green food coloring to the mixture then removing from heat and stir well.
3. Stir in the Rice Krispie cereal then the Lucky Charm’s marshmallows.
4. Store in a container and put in the fridge if you want them to harden more quickly.
Spinach Dip (from recipes.com)
1 pkg Knorr vegetable soup mix
1 cup light mayo
2 cups sour cream
1 small can sliced water chestnust
3 tbsp chopped red onions
1 garlic clove
1 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and dried
1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor.
2. Pour into a food container.
3. Store in the fridge for at least 2 hours then serve.
Of course there are plenty of other recipes you can use that incorporate green foods that automatically make the food green. However, you can also just add green food coloring to anything and it will make it the right color! Just beware of the amount you put in, sometimes adding too much coloring can alter the taste of the food even though it’s technically not supposed too.
What are some of your recipes for St. Patrick’s Day?
Check out our post on Tuesday for some great St. Patties Day kids crafts!
An avocado is that fruit you always see at the store, you know it’s good for you but you don’t know what to do with it except make guacamole. Time to overthrow that mindset and embrace the healthy fats of avocados by making it your new favorite ingredient! Here are a few recipes that use avocados followed by some quick and easy tips to incorporate them into your everyday snacks and meals!
Avocado and Spinach Pasta (from jocooks.com)
10 oz spaghetti or fettucine
1 clove garlic
1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 cup basil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
3/4 to 1 cup past water
Salt and pepper
1. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a blender and blend them until they turn into a smooth sauce.
3. Toss the pasta with the sauce in a bowl then add some Parmesan as you’d like. This is best served the day of since the avocados typically turn a brownish color after a while.
Avocado Mac and Cheese (from joanne-eatswellwithothers.com)
10 oz elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the macaroni then set aside.
2. Combine the garlic, avocados, lime juice, and cilantro in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the flour and stir into the butter.
4. Whisk in the milk until smooth then add the cheese and heat until melted.
5. Place the macaroni in a large bowl and add both sauces until completely blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
-Deviled eggs with guacamole: instead of mixing the yolk with some mayonnaise, replace it all together with some guacamole.
-Avocado and egg toast: it’s exactly how it sounds. Make some toast, scramble some eggs and mash up the avocado then spread the two on the toast.
-Grilled avocado and cheese: once again, super easy. Just make your regular grilled cheese sandwich but add slices of avocado between the slices of cheese.
-Bacon wrapped avocado slices: wrap slices of avocado with a strip or two of bacon then bake in the oven until crispy.
What do you cook with avocados?